TITLE: Technical Service Manager
LOCATION: Salem, OR
REPORTS TO: Director of Sales, Kerr Concentrates
Functional reporting line to: Director, Systems Design and Measurements
The Technical Service Manager is responsible for the development of new products and improving existing products and formulations. This position will provide technical and application support to meet customer needs to strengthen customer relationships, to sustain existing business and to obtain new business. This position will also provide technical support to customers and the sales team with a primary focus on specialty products.
The Technical Service manager leads the Technical team and provides guidance and coaching for job performance and talent development, manages resources to support sales growth and ensures close collaboration with the R&D team in Bridgewater, NJ to deliver innovation projects.
The Technical Service Team is focused on delivering solutions that can create value for our customers. The Go-to-Market team has decades of experience in fruit and vegetable sourcing, manufacturing, and selling. Join a collaborative group of solution driven employees working to deliver profitable growth through sales, quality, and customer service.
As a Technical Service Manager, your responsibilities will include:
- Closely collaborating with marketing, sales, and innovation teams to identify growth opportunities and help develop and implement go-to-market strategy for Kerr Concentrates.
- Effectively leading the implementation of new product innovation into the market. Understanding industry trends and identifying market needs and business potential.
- Facilitating the reformulation of existing products to improve quality, reduce cost or to replace an unavailable ingredient.
- Leading effective project management process to accelerate project turnaround time, deliver robust solutions in response to customer’s needs, and maximize the function’s impact on business growth.
- Allocating available resources, in line with strategic priorities, to deliver the annual business goal.
- Ensuring an efficient collaboration with the R&D team in Bridgewater, NJ to deliver innovation projects.
- Identifying key decision makers within customers’ technical organization and develop/maintain effective working relationships.
- Keeping up-to-date with key technologies and developments in the food industry to ensure the team is equipped with the best knowledge; and has access to relevant external expertise, technical institutes, and facilities.
- Instilling, promoting, and living world class safety behavior.
- Managing and coaching the team members, including goal setting, creation and execution of development plans, performance appraisals, training, and delivery of objectives in line with overall business deliverables.
- Exhibiting good interpersonal and communication skills.
The Technical Service Manager position is well-suited for you if you:
- Consistently focus on achieving strong results, despite balancing multiple complex demands; utilize data and facts to articulate the need for change and build commitment from others
- Proactively build a good understanding of the customer to ensure own work is responsive to customer needs; accept responsibility while managing contingencies communicates and adjust plans appropriately
- Regularly identify areas that can be improved and constructively propose new solutions that increase value and improve business performance; as well as explore multiple possibilities for tackling challenges, thinks “out of the box” to determine the best solution
- Proactively seeks to improve knowledge of our customers, their markets and our business to ensure plan delivery
Qualified candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree with a science concentration from a four-year college or university, and five to eight years related experience. Certified Food Scientist (CFS) Credential a plus
- Demonstrated experience of creative, hands-on concept development and formulation using laboratory.
- Knowledge of common food processes, food ingredient functionality, and ingredient interactions a plus.
- Demonstrated experience working with technical information (i.e. food formulations, food processing specifications, etc.).
- Demonstrated project management skills and experience in executing work and delivering projects on time. Understanding of how project plans and priorities are set.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills (technical reports for internal and external distribution, presentations, etc.).
- Ability to travel 35-40% domestically.
If you are inspired by professional challenges and the rewards that come from a high level of performance, then Kerr Concentrates is the company for you.
We believe in the power of our people to work together to seize opportunities, overcome obstacles and exceed expectations. Each day, individuals make a meaningful difference in the quality of our products and the success of our technology and operations and, in turn, the quality of life for consumers.