Ingredion has a Director of Corporate Communications opportunity at our Westchester (IL) corporate headquarters, to succeed our current director, who is retiring. The Director of Corporate Communications is responsible for developing and executing the external communications strategy in support of Ingredion’s growth strategy and reputation management. Reporting to the vice president of investor relations, the director supports the CEO and other C-suite executives with media interviews and external speaking engagements, and is responsible for crisis communications. This position coordinates with but is not responsible for marketing communications or internal communications, which are managed by other functions.
Our function, Investor Relations/Corporate Communications, is lean and mean. In addition to developing the external communications strategy, we roll up our sleeves and implement it ourselves. It’s a great time to join the team, with a newly appointed CEO starting in January.
Other key deliverables and responsibilities include:
- Serve as corporate media contact for non-trade press. Proactively promotes Ingredion in global financial, digital and social media as well as local Chicago-area outlets and responds to unsolicited media inquiries.
- Develop and maintain strong, productive relationships with reporters at top-tier financial/business media as well as Chicago-area outlets
- Key communication business partner to CEO and other C-suite executives for external communications, including media interviews and public speaking engagements; work with CEO to develop executive speaking agenda; coordinate executive media training, as needed
- Write, edit and produce news and corporate press releases, social media messages, talking points, Q&As, executive bios and speeches; support vice president of investor relations on development of quarterly earnings releases and Q&As
- Maintain corporate website; responsible for updates and periodic refreshes and redesigns
- Manage the process for select awards applications; identity potential new awards for nomination and promote corporate awards
- Manage corporate crisis communications program, including crisis communications training of key operations (manufacturing plant) personnel globally
- Oversee the development of the annual report and sustainability update.
- Help to shape key outreach events which exemplify and communicate Ingredion’s brand values
- Bring best-practice approaches to Corporate Communications from other organizations and industries, especially in the digital and social media sphere.
- Support marketing and internal communications activities as needed to assure consistent messaging
- Supervise one part-time manager
Qualified Candidates for the Director of Corporate Communications role will have:
- a Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or public relations or other, related educational discipline.
- at least 10 years corporate communications experience for a global, publicly traded company. Experience in ingredient, food or beverage industries a plus.
- outstanding written and verbal communication skills as well as strong copyediting and proof-reading skills; ability to write effectively
- recent experience as a hands-on communicator who can write effectively, accurately and with speed for a range of materials: press releases, executive speeches, websites, annual report, PowerPoint presentations and social media messages.
- a knowledge and understanding of media, including social media.
- successful track record in developing and implementing communications strategies and measuring their effectiveness.
- executive presence; experience in advising senior managers and C-suite executives on complex communications challenges, presentation delivery and media interviews.
- experience managing websites and social media outlets.
- some design sense and skill in production of visuals, including slides, posters, video and digital media as well as experience purchasing these services.
- experience with conducting media and crisis communication training
- strong project management skills and the ability to handle multiple projects and clients simultaneously.
- flexibility, positivity and responsiveness and self-motivation to work well on own initiative. Strong desire to please the client while also producing compelling messaging and content.
- experience being effective working in a matrixed organization and an ability to build and leverage productive cross-functional relationships.
Relocation Available? Considered within the US
As a Fortune 500 global provider of ingredient solutions, Ingredion offer great careers across various functions. If you are curious, confident, and believe in the power of game-changing ideas, we want you to make us part of your career formula.
Successful: Grow with a leader. Ingredion is FORTUNE 500 company with consistently strong financial performance.
Responsible: Thrive with an organization that lives its values. We drive relentlessly toward sustainable practices and responsible operations wherever we do business.
Meaningful: Be proud of where you work and what you do. Ingredion enables innovation in foods, beverages and consumer products that touch lives around the world.
As your career develops, Ingredion offers a diverse set of career options in the US, Canada and abroad. Our company continues to grow, organically, geographically and through acquisition.