JOB TITLE: Food Technologist-Technical Service
LOCATION: Mississauga Toronto, Ontario
REPORTS TO: Project Leader, Technical Service
Ingredion is hiring a Technical Service Food Technologist to provide technical support to customers for a broad range of food applications. The Technologist will assist customers in new product development; developing new and creative food concepts to showcase innovative starch/sweeteners based solutions, as well as provide support on microscopy reports and troubleshooting. Activities will include promoting functional ingredients and solutions, conducting bench/in-house, pilot plant and production scale trials at customers utilizing Good Manufacturing Practices. The Technical Service Technologist will have responsibility for maintaining superior working relationships with technical individuals at key customer accounts. He/she will assist the development of ideas for technology improvements and cost saving and will collaborate with Sales, Marketing, Applications and the Go-To-Market team to promote functional, value-added ingredients and solutions to meet customer needs.
As a Technical Service Technologist, your responsibilities will include:
- Understanding internal and external customer’s technical needs and supporting specific key accounts and/or assigned territories.
- Being responsive to customers’ needs and identifying how customers can enhance and expand their product offerings using Ingredion’s technologies and solutions. Demonstrating knowledge of the company’s technologies and their applications in customers’ products.
- Providing technical expertise and support to customers for a broad range of food applications. Applying product and application knowledge to identify optimum technology solutions.
- Executing well-defined experiments and procedures to prepare food prototypes in the lab or in the pilot plant. Formulating and conducting pilot and production scale trials in our Food pilot plant and at customers’ facilities.
- Designing and implementing new product technologies for customers and internal clients.
- Using a range of tools to support customer & new technology projects.
- Generating and making valuable data available to others.
- Actively using knowledge of our overall business strategy, products, and markets to execute goals. Proactively seeks external knowledge to improve own understanding and work output.
- Seeks opportunities (training, projects, etc.) that develop knowledge and skills to become a stronger contributor.
- Building open and collaborative relationships with peers, managers and customers.
- Serving as an active team member and actively seeking opportunities (training, projects, etc.) that develop knowledge and skills to become a stronger contributor.
The Technical Service Technologist position is well-suited for you if you:
- Are self-motivated and results driven and highly organized
- Have a strong customer focused mindset and enjoy teamwork and collaboration
- Are a creative problem solver who can deal with ambiguity
Qualified candidates will have:
- B.S in Food Science/ Food or Chemical Engineering with 2to 4 years of industry experience or M.S in Food Science/Food Engineering or other relevant discipline. Previous laboratory bench top experience in a research food laboratory/product development environment is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience with creative, hands-on food concept development formulation using culinary kitchen, laboratory and/or pilot plant equipment.
- Demonstrated experience working with technical information (i.e. food formulations, food processing specifications, pilot plant procedures, etc.) is desired.
- Demonstrated experience in interactions with ingredient manufacturers or consumer goods manufacturing companies preferred.
- Knowledge of common food processes, food ingredient functionality and ingredient interactions such as starches, hydrocolloids, fats, proteins etc., a plus.
- Previous starch technology experience is desired, microscopy techniques knowledge, customer presentation skills familiar with product formulation software (e.g. Genesis)
- Demonstrated project / time management skills and experience. Ability to manage multiple complex projects and lead project teams.
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills (technical reports for internal and external distribution, presentations, data analysis etc.)
- Understanding of how priorities are set and how projects are managed.
- Ability to work with independently and with limited supervision and also effectively communicate and interact with a cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to travel 25-30% domestically in Canada and some occasional travel to the US.
Job Grade: E
If you are inspired by professional challenges and the rewards that come from a high level of performance, then Ingredion is the company for you. At Ingredion you can be a member of a globally connected team inspired to achieve great things.
We believe in the power of our people to work together to seize opportunities, overcome obstacles and exceed expectations. Each day, individuals make a meaningful difference in the quality of our products and the success of our technology and operations and, in turn, the quality of life for consumers.
A career at Ingredion combines the benefits and professional opportunities afforded a $7 billion leader in our industry with the dynamic environment and team-driven culture you’d expect in a much smaller company. Despite its global scope and the advancement opportunities that come with it, Ingredion has the intimacy of a mid-size company, one where different perspectives are sought and where relationships matter.