Job Title: Food Scientist- Plant Protein Applications
Position Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Reports To: Senior Business Scientist, Team Leader, Global Applications
Ingredion is hiring an experienced Food Applications Scientist to lead and support multiple New Product Development and Applied Research Projects related to development of pulse based ingredients including flours and proteins. The Associate will design and conduct experiments, collaborate with external partners and internal teams to execute projects, seek and pursue opportunities for IP, and regularly update project status to key stakeholders and external partners. The Associate will manage a Food Technologist and be responsible for developing technical materials, market/customer prototypes and formulations, and customer documentation, along with supporting specific customer projects.
Your responsibilities will also include:
- Serving as key global application technical lead for identification, development, evaluation, and commercialization of new ingredients derived from pulses.
- Designing and conducting experiments to fully explore the potential application of new and existing ingredients from pulses.
- Interpreting data to understand relationships between structure/function and applications performance
- Collaborating with external/internal partners for ingredient characterization and development.
- Providing ongoing technical support to customers and regional teams (customer visits, general technical service support, application testing, and trials) on pulse portfolio globally.
- Working with Applications, Marketing and Technical Service Teams to formulate and demonstrate the value of the pulse product range (including flours, starches and proteins) in food and beverage applications.
- Working collaboratively with other cross-functional teams including Process Innovation, Process Development, Cereal Science, Nutrition, Sensory, System Design & Measurement, Marketing and Technical Service to identify, develop and evaluate and commercialize new ingredients derived from pulses.
- Preparing and delivering high quality internal and external training documentations, presentations, and technical documentation to demonstrate and communicate product performance.
- Providing status updates, project plans & milestones and outcomes to team and key stakeholders.
- Keeping appropriate records to support internal clients and external customers and IP strategy.
- Proactively seeking and pursuing IP opportunities to protect Ingredion’s stake in new and promising ingredients and applications.
- Staying abreast of technology environment (market trends, IP landscape). Conducting prior art searches (literature, patents) and developing and applying for patents
- Developing industry relationships and networks with professional organizations (IFT, etc) and experts in specific science and technology areas of interest.
The position is well suited for you if you:
- Encourage collaboration and experimentation to create new products or work processes
- Work collaboratively with peers and others and can adapt to shifting priorities
- Think out of the box and are open to offer new ideas and willing to continuously learn
- Demonstrate a high degree of energy, personal commitment, and ownership
Qualified candidates will have:
- PhD/MS in Food Science or other relevant field with 3 to 5+ years of relevant work experience in product formulation, prototype development, pulse ingredient development. BS candidates with significant industry experience will also be considered.
- Proven in-depth knowledge of plant based flours and of plant protein chemistry and functionality
- Hands-on application development using laboratory equipment, pilot plant equipment, plant equipment and scale-up.
- Proven in-depth knowledge in food and beverage formulations and processes.
- Demonstrated skills in people and project management
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate and interact with cross-functional teams.
- Excellent verbal and written technical communication skills e.g. making high impact presentations internally and to customers and writing technical reports.
- Experience with experimental design, statistical data analysis, and interpretation of results is highly preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Travel required to visit customers, run tests at external facilities, and visit other Ingredion facilities globally.
Relocation Available? Yes- Relocation within Country considered
Job Grade: G
Despite its global scope and the advancement opportunities that come with it, Ingredion has the intimacy of a mid-size company, one where different perspectives are sought and where relationships matter.
A career at Ingredion combines the benefits and professional opportunities afforded a $7 billion leader in our industry with the dynamic environment and team-driven culture you’d expect in a much smaller company.
We believe in the power of our people to work together to seize opportunities, overcome obstacles and exceed expectations. Each day, individuals make a meaningful difference in the quality of our products and the success of our technology and operations and, in turn, the quality of life for consumers.