Sr. Manager, Logistics - Package & Bulk Distribution
Position Location: Westchester, IL
Business Unit: North America Supply Chain
This position is responsible for creating value through excellence in managing cost and service of the package and bulk distribution network. The individual will develop the strategic vision and execution of best practices in package warehouse and bulk breakstation network. Areas of focus include footprint, vendor selection, execution of RFP’s, vendor compliance, contract terms and negotiations, creating competitive environments to control spend while meeting distribution service targets. The scope includes communication to and developing strategic partnerships with distribution vendors, manufacturing, supply chain and logistics groups to evaluate enterprise wide trade-offs, optimizing costs while delivering service targets. Develop distribution capabilities to prepare for scaling of growth and shifts in specialty business needs. The position will act as a primary backup to the Director Truck Logistics & Distribution.
Reports To: Director, Truck Logistics & Distribution
Supervision: This position is responsible for the management of 3 direct reports (2 Managers, 1 Sr. Analyst).
- Develop costing capabilities beyond basic cost per unit and into total cost of ownership, including impact of S&OP outputs.
- Standardize procurement and vendor management capabilities; agree upon business specifications through the establishment of robust supplier performance management practices including scorecarding, costs reporting, damages, complaints, etc.
- Lead network optimization process, rationalize sites as required, create recommendations from what-if studies with inputs from manufacturing, S&OP, logistics, commercial.
- Communicate and execute to a consistent and predictable cost to serve.
- Manage entire distribution invoice audit and payment process. Ensuring balance of flow and accuracy.
- Special project work, including building short-term speed to market solutions to support new developing business segments.
- Create and manage business through analytics, enhanced visibility, process control.
- Scale distribution capability for factors of growth in support of strategic objectives.
- Collaborate with strategic partners to proactively mitigate risk and ensure service and costs continuity to the business; overcome industry disruptors (digital age).
- Drive efficiencies by providing root cause problem solving techniques to service related issues.
- Leverage industry knowledge to manage risks and create benchmarking.
- Implement logistics solutions by improving technology as needed; create tools to support various analytical projects.
- Perform ad-hoc analysis for operations including pricing requests, cost to serve analysis.
- Develop and leverage cross functional relationships with customer service, supply chain, commercial and field personnel to drive cost and service improvement initiatives. Translate up stream S&OP decisions to distribution costs.
- Make company-wide trade-offs between carriers, supply chain, manufacturing, commercial and various functions to optimize value.
- Motivate team and obtain commitment from cross-functional coworkers, and stakeholders to achieve common goals.
- Create total cost of ownership decision making environment.
- Coach, counsel, develop and motivate team to successfully achieve department objectives.
Knowledge, Skills, and Requirements:
- Negotiation expertise with experience in distribution with a proven track record of optimization.
- Demonstrated ability to lead positive change in larger supply chain scope.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze complex business situations and problems, coordinate many complex activities/projects simultaneously and direct successful solutions.
- Demonstrated understanding of the budget process.
- Knowledge of bulk and package distribution best practices.
- Must be able to travel up to 25%.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, or Technical Degree. If technical with relevant business experience. Master’s degree in business a plus.
- Effective and timely verbal and written communications
- Highly organized
- Keeps commitments
- Committed team player
Relocation Available: No