TIC Gums is a global leader in food texturizer and stabilizer solutions. Food and beverage companies rely on TIC Gums to improve the texture, stability, consistency, nutritional profile, and shelf appeal of their products. Legendary customer service, high quality standards, and the unrivaled knowledge of our Gum Gurus® has made TIC Gums the industry leader for more than 100 years.
SUMMARY: As an integral part of the R&D Team, the Sr. Process Engineer develops new processes necessary for successful commercialization of new ingredients. This position works closely with manufacturing engineers to implement these processes on full-scale launches as well as leads any trouble-shooting activities in the post-launch phase.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Provide and manage a safe, accident-free laboratory and pilot environment. Follow all company safety rules in performing job duties.
- Design and execute experimental protocols on bench, pilot and full scale to create new processes, including the verification of the appropriate operating conditions for a given process and the validation that the process can be properly controlled.
- Manage cross-functional projects relating to process and product. Supports both internal and external manufacturing, including commercialization of new R&D products.
- Analyze and resolve processing-related problems that arise in manufacturing, jointly with the manufacturing engineering staff.
- Define process equipment requirements for a given project; design/ select bench, pilot and full scale processing equipment to meet these requirements.
- Effectively document all process development activities that enable the effective transfer of a new process to manufacturing through written reports and formalized on-site training.
- Present ideas and results in an effective and credible manner in cross-functional team settings as well as to senior management.
- Act as a subject matter expert for topics related to processing for both internal product/ process development team members as well as external customers. Experience in communicating and working with both internal and external customers relating to process and product is highly desirable
- Experience and capability to propose and champion of original ideas for the generation of new hydrocolloid technology is preferred.
- Experience in generating effective patents for the protection of new technology is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience to effectively direct the work of internal/ external individuals in progressing innovation projects is preferred
- Responsible for the daily upkeep of the laboratory (including the pilot plant) and all applicable equipment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s of science degree preferably in Chemical Engineering with 7-10 years of experience or a graduate degree with 5-7 years.
- Proven track-record of successful projects involving process design and scale-up of new food ingredients, significant experience in a manufacturing/trouble-shooting environment (actual production management experience is a plus).
- Familiarity w/ spray dry, agglomeration, liquid phase reaction, centrifugation and membrane filtration unit operations, financial evaluation of new processes/ equipment,
- Knowledge of organic & inorganic chemistry. This includes a proven record of effectively interfacing with Manufacturing, Quality, Regulatory and R&D to accomplish results.
- Design of Experiments (DOE) and experience developing and delivering statistically sound results is highly preferred.
FOOD SCIENCE AND CHEMISTRY SKILLS:
Ability to understand and communicate chemical structure nomenclature, understand chemical reaction formulas, mass balance equations etc. Synthetic chemistry, reaction chemistry skills (those required to chemically alter or modify hydrocolloids and starches in a knowingly or predictable manner). Industry related analytical chemistry skills are desired.
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
Must be have computer proficiency (Microsoft Office Suit/Access) and demonstrate the ability to stay current in regulatory and technical developments in the industry. Experience in statistical software, e.g., MiniTab, StatEase, etc is highly desirable.
This position will be based at the White Marsh location, but will spend a significant amount of time at the Belcamp manufacturing site as well. Additional travel may be required (10-15%)