JOB TITLE: Protein Clinical Scientist
LOCATION: Bridgewater, NJ
REPORTS TO: Director, Global Nutrition R&D
Ingredion is hiring a Protein Clinical Scientist to conduct clinical trials and support New Product Development Projects for the Global Nutrition R&D program. The Protein Clinical Scientist will be a key contributor to the research and development program by providing scientific support and substantiating health benefits of protein and other nutritional ingredients for our customers.
As Protein Clinical Scientist, your responsibilities will include:
- Driving innovation and protein-based ingredient development by using expertise in nutritional science.
- Championing commercialization of protein-based food ingredients with novel health-related benefits. Developing & promoting novel products and technologies to strategic customers.
- Planning and directing clinical research trials with contract research organizations and in cooperation with academic collaborators.
- Identifying and proposing potential new benefits (e.g health benefits, nutritional qualities), products and/or technology development opportunities consistent with the business strategy.
- Collaborating directly with customers to support existing products and develop new product solutions by initiating projects, accessing resources and supporting the business strategy.
- Increasing industry/customer awareness of Ingredion Nutrition Research & Development by writing, publishing, and presenting technical papers to customers and at industry conferences.
- Developing innovative solutions and generating intellectual property including patents.
- Maintaining in-depth understanding of patent and scientific literature on protein nutrition. Evaluating technical information to understand technology landscape and planning experimental programs.
- Leading and inspiring project teams, supporting co-workers, engaging stakeholders, encouraging collaboration and contributing to morale.
- Serving as a technical lead on multifunctional product development teams; managing projects and delivering results under challenging schedules.
- Collaborating with application, material science, sensory and process technology functions and marketing/sales to commercialize products.
The Protein Clinical Scientist position is well-suited for you if you:
- Embrace diverse thinking and take calculated risks to help develop leading edge science and nutritional solutions.
- Think “outside the box” and have an ability to explore multiple possibilities for tackling challenges to come up with best solutions. Strategic thinker who can creatively link together disparate ideas to propose novel approaches.
- Are insightful and able to use functional knowledge and experience to drive delivery of department/team goals.
- Readily adapt to new processes and help others operate with flexibility.
Qualified candidates will have:
- PhD in nutrition, food science, biochemistry, or related discipline with 6-9+ years of experience in industry, academic or post-doctoral research or MS in nutrition, food science, biochemistry, or related discipline with 9-12+ years of experience in industry and academic.
- Strong background in human protein metabolism and physiology. Experience with animal protein nutrition a plus.
- Established expert with network in the field of protein nutrition.
- Ability to lead and manage multiple projects in applied research, emphasizing clinical research, that lead to new product development and/or health benefit substantiation. Proven ability to plan and prioritize work to meet deadlines and achieve business objectives.
- Ability to inspire and focus teams to adapt to changing requirements while maintaining momentum.
- Ability to interact effectively within the Nutrition Research and Development team, other functions within the organization, and with customers. Must be comfortable as a member of multifunctional, multidisciplinary teams.
- Outstanding written & oral communication skills as customer presentations and technical publications are a requirement.
- Understanding of the importance of safety in the workplace and the processes which drive the desired safety performance.
- Approximately 20% travel to customers, technical/trade conferences, and other Ingredion locations will be required.
Relocation Available: Yes – within country
Job Grade: H
What is the formula for a winning career?
It starts with joining a thought leader, innovator and true high performer, grounded in values and driven to innovate and advance. As a Fortune 500 global provider of ingredient solutions, Ingredion offer great careers across various functions—corporate, scientific, engineering and operations, sales and technical service, marketing and more. If you are curious, confident, and believe in the power of game-changing ideas, we want you to make us part of your career formula.
Successful: Grow with a leader. Ingredion is FORTUNE 500 company with consistently strong financial performance.
Responsible: Thrive with an organization that lives its values. We drive relentlessly toward sustainable practices and responsible operations wherever we do business.
Meaningful: Be proud of where you work and what you do. Ingredion enables innovation in foods, beverages and consumer products that touch lives around the world.