TIC Gums, an Ingredion Company, is a global leader in food texturizer and stabilizer solutions. Food and beverage companies rely on TIC Gums to improve the texture, stability, consistency, nutritional profile, and shelf appeal of their products. Legendary customer service, high quality standards, and the unrivaled knowledge of our Gum Gurus® has made TIC Gums the industry leader for more than 100 years.
Title: Intern, R&D Applications - TIC Gums Summer 2018
Location: White Marsh, MD
Reports To: Applications Manager
Summary: The Intern, R&D Applications will support the progression of a well-defined research project that is critical for implementation of a new formulation software. This internship is great multifaceted opportunity to understand R&D software, test a wide variety of formulations, and utilize different analysis techniques. The project is early in the stages allowing the intern to have control on direction and which formulations to prioritize.
As the Intern, R&D Applications your responsibilities will include:
- Learn and understand new formulation software
- Perform lab/pilot plant experiments and conduct data analysis on dated formulations; interpret results to make adjustments and recommendations (update stabilizer blends, review old ingredients, ensure that formulation works).
- Enter updated formulation into new software with appropriate documentation, formula, and product data sheets for raw materials.
- Operate laboratory equipment safely and with little direct supervision to support project needs. May require modification of standard operating procedures.
- Record data in the Lab Notebook and other archiving databases as appropriate. Effectively communicate results to project teams and stakeholders.
- Maintain a clean, safe work environment. Follow guidelines set-out for good housekeeping, GMPs, and safety.
- Work well with others in laboratory and pilot plant. Effectively communicate with colleagues, project teams and key stakeholders.
- Present project status, updates, and outcomes to team and stakeholders.
- At completion of internship period, present research findings to management with recommendations.
The Intern, Applications R&D position is well-suited for you if you:
- Set, prioritize and enable the achievement of ambitious project goals
- Build relationships with key decision-makers and internal stakeholders within R&D and other departments.
- Ability to work well with all levels of personnel
- Possess solid teamwork skills
- Are self-motivated and results-driven
- Are a creative problem solver
- Enjoy data analysis and testing
Qualified candidates will have:
- Progress towards a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science with focus in Culinology preferred; must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor's degree program
- Minimum 3.0 GPA required
- Availability to work full time (40 hours/week) between early June and mid-August 2018
- Ability to work safely in a lab environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills, e.g. making presentations and writing technical data/reports
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.