TIC Gums, an Ingredion Company, is a global leader in food texturizer and stabilizer solutions. Food and beverage companies rely on TIC Gums to improve the texture, stability, consistency, nutritional profile, and shelf appeal of their products. Legendary customer service, high quality standards, and the unrivaled knowledge of our Gum Gurus® has made TIC Gums the industry leader for more than 100 years.
Title: Intern, Analytical R&D
Location: White Marsh, MD
Reports To: Project Leader
The Intern, Analytical R&D, will support the progression of a well-defined research project that is critical for departmental objectives. This project will encompass the wide range of hydrocolloid products to promote better understanding and comparisons between the base materials as well as make the information readily available to the technical team to utilize as a resource. This project assignment will also require an alignment with the analytical team to help identify level 1 specs for finished goods. The objective will be to analyze the data from the level 1 specs and determine if they can be moved to level 2.
As the Intern, Analytical R&D your responsibilities will include:
- Consolidate current gum studies data and complete additional testing to ensure that all data meets similar methodology to align with the new ingredient screening protocol.
- Identify missing data and perform corresponding testing (solution testing, rheology testing, etc.
- Analyze and organize data and translate into a report similar to the current Xanthan gum brochure
- Operate laboratory equipment safely and with little direct supervision to support project needs. May require modification of standard operating procedures.
- Record data in the Lab Notebook and other archiving databases as appropriate. Effectively communicate results to project teams and stakeholders.
- May assist Project Leader and Analytical team in additional projects
- Maintain a clean, safe work environment. Follow guidelines set-out for good housekeeping, GMPs, and safety.
- Work well with others in R&D and Analytical teams; effectively communicate with colleagues, project teams and key stakeholders.
- Present project status, updates, and outcomes to team and stakeholders.
- At completion of internship period, present research findings to management with recommendations.
The Intern, Analytical R&D position is well-suited for you if you:
- Set, prioritize and enable the achievement of ambitious project goals
- Build relationships with key decision-makers and internal stakeholders within R&D and other depts.
- Ability to work well with all levels of personnel
- Possess solid teamwork skills
- Are self-motivated and results-driven
- Are a creative problem solver
- Enjoys data collection and analysis
Qualified candidates will have:
- Progress towards a Bachelor’s degree in Food Science with an interest in data characterization and generation
- Minimum 3.0 GPA required
- Availability to work full time (40 hours/week) between early June and mid-August 2018
- Ability to analyze and understand data, results, and scientific literature to advance projects
- Familiarity with experimental design, statistical data analysis and interpretation of results
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written technical communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.)