Logistics Analyst- Rail
Location: Westchester, IL US
Business Unit: North America - Supply Chain
Ingredion Incorporated is a leading global ingredient solutions provider to the food, beverage, paper and corrugating, brewing and other industries. Headquartered in the Chicago suburb of Westchester, Illinois, we turn grains, fruits, vegetables and other plant materials into value-added ingredients and biomaterial solutions. Serving customers in over 100 countries, our ingredients make crackers crunchy, yogurts creamy, candy sweet, paper stronger and add fiber to nutrition bars. With more than 11,000 employees around the world, we serve customers in more than 60 diverse markets in over 100 countries.
Each day, we live our Company Values—Safety, Quality, Integrity, Respect, Excellence and Innovation—so that we may create enduring, mutual value for our customers, business associates, communities, colleagues and shareholders. If you are curious, confident, and believe in the power of game-changing ideas, we want you to make us part of your career formula.
Ingredion has an opportunity for a Logistics Analyst (Rail). This position will manage the empty/loaded railcar rail fleet. The rail analyst is responsible for coordinating empty/loaded rail car supplies and service to provide adequate empty/loaded railcars for product loading locations. The rail service analyst is the primary contact with rail service providers and internal customers at manufacturing and loading locations for expediting and problem resolution of empty rail cars. Responsible for the accuracy of data in the Car Master File and Car Movement Records. Rail Analyst is also responsible to assist in various projects within the Rail group.
Reports to: Manager, Rail Car Operations
Supervision: No direct reports
As the Logistics Analyst you will be required to:
- Monitor supplies and status of empty/loaded railcars versus plant loading requirements.
- Assist Customer Service in tracking and tracing loaded movements from all plant and storage locations to all ship to destinations.
- Assist plant railroad operations to identify and address switching delays and work with plant and the switch carrier to expedite departure and interchange to the line haul carriers.
- Work with internal customers and rail carriers to ensure that railroad related delays do not become repetitive or significant.
- Monitor daily non-moving reports, work with customer service agents and rail carriers to identify and expedite delayed rail cars.
- Work with rail management team, production planning, distribution team, rail carriers and plant shipping groups to coordinate rail fleet assignments and railcar supply at Ingredion manufacturing facilities and storage locations.
- Work with rail management team and rail carriers to improve loaded (outbound) velocity of the rail fleet.
- Manage excess empty rail car supplies to minimize demurrage, storage, and empty freight costs.
- Work with Rail Car Maintenance to move empty rail cars to rail repair shops and lessor locations in the most efficient, cost effective manner.
- Track time in rail car shop, and communicate inconsistencies.
- Responsible for maintenance and accuracy of the rail car master file working with Manager, Rail Car Operations, our plants, and leasing companies.
- Work with Manager, Rail Car Operations; our plants; and the lessor to facilitate the delivery/receipt of new equipment and the return/release on railcar turn backs.
- Maintain inbound/ outbound rail service key performance indicators (KPI’s).
- Monitor railcar maintenance (shop time) key metrics.
- Work with Manager to develop and access a fleet size model for all business groups.
- Provide assistance to internal customers with EDI billing processes for empty rail cars.
- Work with rail management team, production planning and distribution team, rail carriers, and plant logistics groups to coordinate rail fleet assignments and rail car supply at Ingredion’s manufacturing facilities and storage locations. Divert empty cars as necessary.
- Identify cost effective long term storage locations and work with Manager to establish contracts as needed.
- Provide data and analysis of both historical and projected rail transit times and service for internal customers as requested.
- Provide analysis of root cause and work with rail carriers to develop effective corrective actions for rail service related customer complaints.
- Maintain excellent working relationships with rail carriers’ operations groups, and leasing company’s customer service groups.
- Coordinate and serve as back up for the in the group when other Rail Analyst is absent or on vacation.
- Assist Manager to learn aspects of rail car leasing and provide essential support services.
- Work well with others and facilitate the participation of others in team processes; including the ability to act equally well in the role of team leader, team member, or facilitator.
Qualified candidates will have the following:
- Knowledge and experience in a service, support/operations role.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Supply Chain, or a related field.
- Knowledge of Rail transportation or plant logistics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with a rail transportation management system (Railtrac a plus), Access, Excel, UMLER, and SAP. Experience with Tableau is a plus.
- On-going development will require emphasis on building queries and managing data within Access, Excel, or Tableau.
Desired behavior, personal attributes, and competencies:
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to function well as a team member or independently.
- Demonstrated decision making ability, planning, time-management tools, and structured work habits.
- Possess the ability to organize, prioritize, and implement multiple complex tasks, meet deadlines and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Mobilizes to rapidly adapt to changing circumstances without losing momentum.
- Demonstrated commitment to follow issues through completion, including documentation.
- Demonstrate capacity to solve problems through creative, innovative solutions and challenge traditional methods of accomplishing tasks.
- Continual learning to increase the ability to solve issues.
- Must be willing to work additional hours as necessary (evenings, weekends/ on-call).
- Desire and ability to advance into positions of increasing responsibility after successful delivery in this role
What is the formula for a winning career?
It starts with joining a thought leader, innovator and true high performer, grounded in values and driven to innovate and advance. As a Fortune 500 global provider of ingredient solutions, Ingredion offer great careers across various functions—corporate, scientific, engineering and operations, sales and technical service, marketing and more. If you are curious, confident, and believe in the power of game-changing ideas, we want you to make us part of your career formula.
Successful: Grow with a leader. Ingredion is FORTUNE 500 company with consistently strong financial performance.
Responsible: Thrive with an organization that lives its values. We drive relentlessly toward sustainable practices and responsible operations wherever we do business.
Meaningful: Be proud of where you work and what you do. Ingredion enables innovation in foods, beverages and consumer products that touch lives around the world.