Senior Manager, Quality Assurance
Location: Westchester IL
Business Unit: Quality, Food Safety & Continuous Improvement, North America
Reports to: Director Quality Assurance US & Canada
Supervision: Dotted line reports include NKC, Winston-Salem, Stockton, Mapleton and Cedar Rapids Quality Assurance/Quality Control Managers
The Regional Manager, Quality Assurance will develop, improve, and direct the implementation of Regional Quality Assurance Standards and Systems applied at US manufacturing plants to ensure compliance with Company policies and standards, government regulatory requirements and to meet customer requirements. As the dotted-line manager for the plant functional quality managers, regularly coaches and mentors plant quality team leaders.
- Quality Systems – Manage the development, implementation and effective operation of Quality systems for the USA manufacturing facilities and logistical network. Provide leadership and management support to the assigned manufacturing facility Quality Managers, their support staff and logistic/sales personnel to ensure effective application or implementation of company quality system objectives and goals. Maintain a current knowledge of Quality Management practices (ISO, FSSC 22000, etc.) and champion the establishment of best practices throughout the region. Working with stakeholders, develops and improves quality and food safety systems. Promotes understanding and engagement of systems within assigned sites. Provide administrative and support to Intelex users as requested. Support Quality and Food Safety systems for specialty ingredients, NGM, organic, hydrocolloids, potato starch, specialty rice, and other growth areas.
- Quality Assurance Policies and Procedures – Assure that current corporate and regional Quality Assurance policies and procedures are effective. Develop or assist in the development and implementation of revised or new corporate/regional policies and guidelines to meet government regulations, customer satisfaction and business objectives. Provide support to all locations in implementing Quality Assurance policies and procedures
- Audits – Conduct periodic assessments of site, supplier and third party facilities to ensure compliance with government regulations, customer requirements and company policies and programs. Provide recommendations, support and follow-up to ensure compliance to policies is maintained. Participate in plant customer audits, tracking corrective actions as appropriate. Manage annual product recall simulations for USA plants. Lead and/or participate in supplier audits as required.
- SAP – Serve as an expert SAP user. Apply skills to maintain and improve current system, provide training to users, create master plans, etc
- Customer Support – Provide technical support with respect to Quality Assurance/Quality Control functions (contract review, quality audits) to ensure customer satisfaction. Maintain and develop an effective system for implementation of customer quality requirements in our business environment (SAP). Ensure an effective Corrective Action program is in place within US that continually measures and improves performance and is consistent with NA best practices. Provide the knowledge and support to develop and maintain current, accurate technical and product information (data sheets, material safety data). Upon request, complete customer documentation requests in the allotted timeframe
- Liaison – Serve as the primary technical contact to key customers, maintaining organizational focus on product acceptance and suitability from US manufacturing plants. Serve as the primary QA technical contact to key customers, maintaining organizational focus on product acceptance and suitability. Serve as the technical liaison with appropriate trade associations and represent Ingredion’s interests, maintaining currency in the field of Quality Assurance. Regularly interface with internal stakeholders to understand and meet their needs. Work with manufacturing leaders to strengthen local talent, ensuring quality managers are fully empowered to lead and improve the quality culture at their sites. Meet with plant managers where practical during plant visits to discuss current issues, support required, and employee growth strategies
- Regulatory – Maintain current knowledge of governmental regulations, and assess the impact on the Company. Ensure appropriate regulatory registrations for materials (i.e. Kosher/Halal status) are current and are properly maintained. Ensure compliance with all applicable food and feed safety requirements. Evaluate regulatory status of specialty products subject to Domestic and International Quality Assurance standards as necessary to support our import and export businesses.
- Coaching and Development –Provide regular coaching and mentoring to dotted-line QA/QC reports, assisting them with accomplishing plant and regional strategic and operating agenda items.
Knowledge, Skills, and Requirements:
- Extensive experience working with customers and government agencies, interpreting rules and other external (customer) requirements. High degree of competency/experience with Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and various codes of Federal Regulations as they apply to the food and drugs and various compendia such as U.S. Pharmacopoeia and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients guidelines.
- Detail oriented with strong analytical and problem solving skills. Able to interpret toxicological/ physiological/analytical and microbiological data and determine its significance.
- Demonstrated competency in food safety and food security.
- Experience with multiple Quality Systems and their development and implementation (i.e., HACCP, ISO, cGMP, API, IPEC, GLPs).
- History of implementing best practices to maintain area of technical responsibility as state of the art. Able to identify and implement creative, innovative solutions when appropriate.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Proven track record of developing and coaching teams.
- Demonstrates excellent leadership and management skills. Proven ability to function within a matrix organization.
- Proficient in the use of Intelex and Windows software programs (i.e. Word, Excel and Powerpoint). Significant experience with SAP as applied to QA/QC.
- Capable of traveling approximately 50%.
- Bachelor’s degree in Microbiology, Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering or in a related field, with solid demonstrated knowledge of QA/QC and basic business principles. Previous position as a plant QA/QC Manager in the corn wet milling industry strongly preferred.
- Desire and ability to progress to a leadership role within the Quality organization
Salary Grade: I
Relocation Available: Yes, within country considered